Daniel Lepage on 14 Mar 2003 12:36:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 36 BALLOT

On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 12:13  AM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 3/13/03 at 6:26 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

Proposal 1377/0: Sing Along! (Wonko)

No. Rap is technically considered music, and therefore gives too much
leeway.

According to Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, music involves
the succession of tones. In fact, there is a specific note: "Not all
sounds are tones. Sounds may be unmusical and yet please the ear. Music
deals with tones, and with no other sounds. See Tone." This would
suggest that something such as rap, which focuses more on beats than
tones, is not actually music. Unless you mean in the zoological sense,
where it means "A more or less musical sound made by many of the lower
animals. See Stridulation."

I guess the question is, does Dave consider a work of Rap to be music?

Unfortunately, rap is measured in "songs", and "songs" are what your prop is tied to. Your prop doesn't actually say "music". I suppose that means I could write props based on the Song of Hiawatha...or better still, the Song of Solomon. Pull up a KJV and figure out the rhythm and rhyme of that one.

If you're willing to take the time to duplicate the Song of Solomon in proposal form, that's fine with me. The word 'song' has a number of possible interpretations; the point of the last verse of the prop is to give Dave the power to decide whether or not a given "song" is actually a song.

--
Wonko