David E. Smith on 11 Jan 2003 19:33:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] PROP: Oh, how Zen

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, bd wrote:

[[ Well, the first logical problem is that it wasn't sent to the business
list. Fortunately, that one negates all the other problems... ]]

> __Ohhhmmmmmm__
>
> Append the following to rule 154:
> {{
> B.9. Karma

At this point, I'm not sure what you're looking to do that isn't already
covered by the (rarely-used) Mischief dimension. (You could just rename
'Mischief' to 'Karma', maybe reverse the ups'n'downs for the few things
that affect Mischief, and get just about the same effect.)

> A Player's Karma increases when:
>
> A Player's Karma decreases when

Note that the amount of increase and decrease is NOT specified, and we
can't just assume that it's supposed to be '1' for each of those.

> __Ohhhhmmmmmm...__

There's no 'h' in the sacred syllable 'OM'.

Anyway.

I'm not a fan of this because of the Karma and Karma Tally and the
bookkeeping that will be involved (probably by me) in them.

[[ Aside: Anyone play Shadowrun? This very much reminds me of the Karma
and Karma Pool that game uses. ]]

> There exists a philosophy named Zen.

Not unless you also create a philosophical mandate for it, there
doesn't...

At any rate, this gives Zen players WAAAAAAY too many extra votes, or at
least has the potential to do so. Bad bad idea.

(As long as the "extra votes" thingies are relatively rare, I don't have
to try to figure out how to add lots of "extra votes" to the database. I'd
rather like to keep it that way. :-)

...dave