bd on 11 Jan 2003 19:40:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] PROP: Oh, how Zen

On Saturday 11 January 2003 02:31 pm, David E. Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, bd wrote:
>
> [[ Well, the first logical problem is that it wasn't sent to the business
> list. Fortunately, that one negates all the other problems... ]]

Intentional.

> > __Ohhhmmmmmm__
> >
> > Append the following to rule 154:
> > {{
> > B.9. Karma
>
> At this point, I'm not sure what you're looking to do that isn't already
> covered by the (rarely-used) Mischief dimension. (You could just rename
> 'Mischief' to 'Karma', maybe reverse the ups'n'downs for the few things
> that affect Mischief, and get just about the same effect.)

Okay.

> > A Player's Karma increases when:
> >
> > A Player's Karma decreases when
>
> Note that the amount of increase and decrease is NOT specified, and we
> can't just assume that it's supposed to be '1' for each of those.

> > __Ohhhhmmmmmm...__
>
> There's no 'h' in the sacred syllable 'OM'.
>
> Anyway.
>
> I'm not a fan of this because of the Karma and Karma Tally and the
> bookkeeping that will be involved (probably by me) in them.
>
> [[ Aside: Anyone play Shadowrun? This very much reminds me of the Karma
> and Karma Pool that game uses. ]]
>
> > There exists a philosophy named Zen.
>
> Not unless you also create a philosophical mandate for it, there
> doesn't...

I can always declare precedence.

> At any rate, this gives Zen players WAAAAAAY too many extra votes, or at
> least has the potential to do so. Bad bad idea.

Well, if someone can think up better perks for shunning all material
possessions, I'm all ears. Except I'm not; I only have two. Except on
tuesdays.
- --
bd
"Maintain an awareness for contribution -- to your schedule, your project,
our company."
- -- A Group of Employees