David E. Smith on 7 Oct 2002 00:07:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Discussion Question: Ends of Ndays

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Glotmorf wrote:

> Do we want an end-of-nday clock stoppage while waiting for a Recognizer?

Bad idea. I don't, and can't, attend to this every day. Not gonna happen.
This would make *every* nweek last 15-20 days. I know that they tend to
run 11 or 12 now, and that seems to annoy people quite enough as it is.

(Fortunately, I've learned my lesson, and will never ever ever do anything
like 'Free Bandwidth Nweek' again. :)

Though, whilst at work today, I did come up with a few ideas tangentially
related to this and other sanity-restoring notions.

The only one that's really fully-formed, though, is something like this:

{{ __Wild West Justice__
[[ or, What'd Glotmorf/Wonko/whoever Break This Time? ]]

Create a rule:

{{ __Summary Judgment__ (* CFI, Chutzpah 4 *)

If, in the sole discretion of the Administrator, the outcome of a CFI
could have a significant and dangerous impact on the integrity of this
Nomic, e may issue Summary Judgment on that CFI.

Summary Judgment is like the normal judgment process, except for the
following changes:
* The Administrator is automatically the assigned Judge for the CFI.
* The Administrator's ruling must be either TRUE or FALSE.
  [[ none of this silly 'REFUSED' stuff, no-sir-ee-bob ]]
* If an appeals process [[ e.g. the Upper House ]] exists, the CFI is
  automatically appealed. If the existing appeals process permits The
  Administrator to be an appeals judge, e is automatically recused from
  serving in that capacity on appeal.

}}

}}

I might also suggest an addition to the existing CFI rules that lengthens
the time in which plaintiffs can rescind CFIs (possibly with increasing
point penalties).

(Or we could just do away with the whole justice system and play a
modified Imperial Nomic. That'd be delightful for my ego. :)

The intent of the above is, if something really kooky is done, we can at
least try to pretend some semblance of normalcy is still in place, pending
any appeals process that may or may not exist at some undefined point in
the distant future.

Just so you, the concerned citizen, can get an idea of how this would work
out, here's the 'short short short' version of some of the open CFIs, as
interpreted by me:

* WBE's boss-ness: If it were in my power, I'd just throw the whole damn
  thing out. Both claims are awfully specious IMO. But the rule describing
  what a Charter is and isn't seems clear to me -- Wonko's WBE rule
  doesn't count, and Glotmorf's charter, which was created in accordance with
  the Societies rule, does.

* Glotmorf's 'points etc. don't exist' one: You're an idiot. False.
  [[ There's something to be said for brevity. ;) There's also precedent
  for this sort of ruling -- I don't presently recall who did the 'this
  isn't what the rules say, but if we followed the rules the whole game
  would go to hell' ruling, but it's been done.]]

* Glotmorf's 'auto-voting gremlins' one: We hashed this one out when I
  proposed all those changes to Rule 15 a few nweeks back. I don't like it
  one bloody bit, but yeah, Gremlins do get the right to vote.

...dave