Glotmorf on 6 Oct 2002 02:36:10 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Discussion Question: Ends of Ndays

On 10/5/02 at 9:12 PM Wonko wrote:

>Quoth Glotmorf,
>
>> Okay, I know the basic argument is in favor of existentialism, that the
>game
>> state exists as a result of player actions regardless of what the
>website or
>> the admin actually says, etc.  But at the same time, I find it useful to
>know
>> what we all think the game state looks like after the smoke clears and
>after
>> the dust settles.
>>
>> On the one hand, Dave is entitled to a life, which includes relocation,
>> re-employment, system downtimes, sleep, sanity checks, what-have-you.  I
>have
>> never begrudged him these things and I never will.
>>
>> On the other hand, we might never get to see what's there after the smoke
>> clears, especially if we keep those tire fires going.
>>
>> So...We've already got an end-of-nweek clock stoppage while waiting for
>the
>> update.  We've already got an end-of-pre-voting-period clock stoppage
>while
>> waiting for the ballot to be determined.
>>
>> Do we want an end-of-nday clock stoppage while waiting for a Recognizer?
>>
>> As we've demonstrated over the last two or three nweeks, a clock stoppage
>> doesn't really stop us from functioning.
>
>Yes, but having 10 per nweek probably would - it would mean that an nweek
>would be at least 20 days long, and probably 3 or 4 days longer. That would
>slow this game down to the point where most people would probably quit out
>of boredom.
>
>I think things will be much easier now that free Bandwidth week is
>essentially over.

Keep in mind that a clock stoppage wouldn't necessarily slow down the game if Dave is able to keep up.  Ndays are based on whenever midnight UTC is, so if, after the end of an nday, Dave handles everything in a few minutes and makes a report, the next nday would still come 24 RL hours after the last nday.  If Dave can't finish it, or gets delayed somehow, all he'd be obligated to put into the Recognizer is whatever happened before that last UTC midnight.  Everything else would still queue up with the clock off as being part of the next nday, and cut off with the next UTC midnight to be reported in the next Recognizer.

If Dave's not burdened, there would probably be no truly functional clock stoppages at all.

						Glotmorf