Orc In A Spacesuit on 5 Oct 2002 22:17:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] about society fixing

From: bd <bdonlan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
What I want to see isa formalized nomic language. Failing that, a reduction in
amibiguity.

[[ Formalized nomic example:

proposal[1234].vote(YES);

Or:

new proposal() = {
	new rule(Chutzpah := 5, keywords := [Instarule, blah, etc]) = {
		hook(grid.move, { (x,y) := moveto }) = {
			if (moveto == (1,1)) {
				return false; // It is illegal to enter (1,1)
			}
			else
			{
				return hook.next(); // Let the next hook take care of things
			}
		}
	}
}

Well, I've thought about actually making the rules be code like that, since my prop was likened to C++. However, I just don't think that that's the best thing for this nomic. This is not C++Nomic, CNomic, or JavaNomic. It's BNomic, and I think most of us would like to keep it that way.

However, I have seriously considered setting up a system like that. Perhaps we could collaborate and make a new Nomic based on a particular language. If we do, I'd prefer Java, as it, along with Assembly, is one of my favorite languages, and won't have a lot of computer-related baggage. Perhaps we could even link it somehow with BNomic, giving our Ambassador something to put in the BiWeekly. Well, let me finish the uber-prop first, and maybe we can do this.

As for a prerelease, not yet. I'm still going over large sections of it, revising it, and making it better. Also, I've had a couple of fundamental changes, and may have more in the future. Right now it would only make sense to me. Once I have it ironed out a bit, I'll make another prerelease for my web page.

One more thing -- I just watched Nova, a PBS show about new discoveries in science, and the wonders of it, and it got my imagination going. As soon as I'm done with this, I have some really neat ideas for enhancing the game.

Orc In A Spacesuit
is trying to finish up the prop.