Wonko on 5 Oct 2002 16:28:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NomiCrack and Victory: The Game is Mine

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 10/4/02 at 5:14 PM Wonko wrote:
>
>> Quoth Glotmorf,
>>
>>> See...this is why I'm positively stupefied when *you* accuse *me* of
>> being an
>>> asshole...:)
>>
>> Because you took an idea that was mine (WBE) and tried to steal it. That,
>> under my particular set of morals, counts as plagiarism, and is something
>> which I would NEVER do, no matter how much I stood to gain from it.
>>
>> Unless, of course, I was doing it in response to someone who had done it to
>> me, in which case I would feel no moral qualms about it.
>>
>> That, by the way, is a tactic commonly reffered to as the 'Grim
>> Retaliator'.
>> I've always liked it, myself.
>
> Oh, is that the problem?  Then we don't have a problem.  I never at any point
> was trying to steal your idea.  I was trying to steal your property and your
> power structure, but at no time would I have claimed it wasn't your idea.  I
> freely admit it was your idea.  I was doing a purely predatory resource grab,
> comparable to your robbing the bank.
>
> I'm against plagiarism too, and am somewhat shocked you'd accuse me of it.  If
> I was into that sort of petty dishonesty, I wouldn't remain loyal to my
> friends and respectful of my enemies, and I wouldn't give credit where credit
> was due.
>
> But take advantage of a rule to make off with your property?  Dude, that's
> what the game's about, as you've so aptly proven in the past.

I apologize for calling it 'plagiarism'; that wasn't a very good choice of
words. But I'm still not sure I can see any substantial difference between
your actions and mine if I were to, say, take that Technology prop you were
suggesting and propose it myself. I could add a little note at the bottom of
the rule, [[Thanks to Glotmorf for suggesting this rule!]], and then I'd be
giving you credit for your idea, but it would still be a pretty dispicable
thing to do.

But you're right, I am being a little oversensitive. I apologize.

--
Wonko