Wonko on 5 Oct 2002 16:25:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] CFI -- Dropping da Big One

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 10/5/02 at 12:34 AM Baron von Skippy wrote:
>
>> I don't name my shtupid Hangover in the hopesh it'll go away... shame for
>> my
>> Entropy.
>
> Sorry, Baron.  Hangovers aren't defined as objects.  Besides, I don't think
> you can have more than one, so any given hangover is uniquely identified as
> the one that particular player is suffering from.

I think they are defined as objects. It says that a player gets, "a Hangover
of the Ages"... That seems to be defining it as an object. As for the
uniqueness of them, although the rule is constructed in such a way as to
stop someone from being able to get another one if they already have one, it
would be possible to, say, propose to give somebody three hangovers, and it
would be legal. So no, they're not unique.

Even if they were, though, I think that there is a difference between a
'uniquely identifying name' and a 'unique identifier' - a name is what we
actually CALL the thing, whereas an identifier is just something that
happens to be true of it. If you think that all something needs is a Unique
Identifier, then I could make the case that anyone who has only one gnome of
a given type could keep it, 'cause we could just call it, "player XXX's YYY
Gnome", until such time as they got more. That seems kind of confusing.

>> I name allamy other "positive" dimenshion pointsh "BvS's nth XXXX point,"
>> where XXXX is the dimenshion and n ish the number- BvS's 1st-16th Charm
>> pointsh, forazample.
>
> Ya know...I don't think quantum units of any dimension other than points are
> considered objects either.

I don't know...  there are references in the rules to players recieving 'one
point of entropy' or 'one point of Activity'... OTOH, these can all be
negative as well, which suggests that they're not actually objects... This
looks like something CFIable...

--
Wonko