Wonko on 14 May 2002 21:28:27 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: M-Tek

Quoth Glotmorf,

>> They may not be revised (r19)
>
> R19 says proposals can be revised; it doesn't say that other things can't be.
> R18, after all, says that anything not regulated is permissible; if there's
> nothing that talks about revising Charter Props, that suggests it's permitted.

'Players may not change the game state', remember?

> And even if they can't be, so what?  That just means the proposer had better
> get it right the first time, and the Charter Prop is more likely to get voted
> down if e doesn't.  There's nothing that says we can't have non-revisable
> objects.
>
>> **They are not processed, nor do their actions take effect**, nor may they
>> be vetoed, nor do they cause dimension changes to their proponents (r32)
>
> Charter Props don't contain actions.  They contain provisions and limitations
> for actions.  Which is why your Let's Get Rich club just doesn't work.  As to
> not being veto-able and not changing proponents' dimensions, "That's not a
> bug, it's a feature."  The Charter Prop rule explicitly states dimensions
> aren't changed.
>
> As for not being "processed" like a proposal, so what?  R631 says a Club
> exists when a player makes a Charter Prop and it's voted on; being voted on
> implies a process that ties it in with the following sentence, which
> determines whether or not the Charter Prop passes.  That the Charter Prop
> isn't "processed" by the Administrator as are proposals doesn't keep the Club
> from existing when the proper number of votes are cast for it.

It says no such thing. Nowhere does it say "If a Charter Prop passes, then
its Charter is added to the ruleset." No distinction is ever made between
CPs that pass and those that fail, nor is any method given for determing
when CPs do or do not create their Charters.

> All in all, everything you've listed as being apparent deficiencies in Charter
> Props are in fact differences between Charter Props and proposals.  Okay, so
> differences exist.  I fail to see why this means Charter Props can't exist;
> after all, we have a rule that defines them as a game entity.

Charter Props can certainly exist. They simply do nothing.

--
Wonko