Jeff Schroeder on 29 Apr 2001 16:53:15 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Joel, help us!

At 01:35 AM 4/29/2001, you wrote:
Quoth =?us-ascii?Q?Jorg_Rathlev?=:
> > Elections for nweek 21:
> > * Banker
> > Joerg
> >=20
> > [[ Is this right? Can there be an election with only one nominee? ]]
>
> Yes, I think so. I'd suggest voting yes or no in this case. However, the =
> rules don't seem to allow such votes -- rule 359 states "Voters may cast =
> exactly one vote for a candidate for each Elective Office on the =
> Ballot."
>
> So you're not required to vote, but if you do, you must vote *for* the =
> only candidate. That's not really a good rule. On the other hand, with =
> votes being yes or no, what's going to happen if the majority votes =
> *against* the only candidate?
>
> Does anyone have a good idea about how to fix this?
>

> Joerg

Hmm. My interpretation of this rule is a little different. I had always
assumed that so long as one person casts a vote for the only candidate,
then e is elected. Votes for elections should always name candidates,
rather than be "yes" or "no", so it's not a possibility that a majority
would vote against the only candidate.

I agree with Joerg's interpretation. You can vote for a candidate by name or a yes vote for eim. This is simply a matter of how your vote is recorded.

After reading the interpretations again, they seem very similar... Joerg says that you must vote for the only candidate (by a yes vote) and Joel says that you must vote for the only candidate (by name) or not vote. I think you both agree on the current interpretation of the rule if not the purpose.

It should be possible for a candidate to not be elected if e is the only one on the ballot if the majority votes against eim. It seems wrong to have somebody nominate eimself and vote for eimself and win the election if everyone else votes against eim (by not voting since there is no method to vote no). There needs to be a majority vote to get into office the same way a majority is required for a rule to pass. If you are the only one on the ballot it should be cake to get elected.

jeff