Jörg Rathlev on 23 Feb 2001 15:47:11 -0000

spoon-business: Proposal to make the Administrator a normal Officer

As I have explained in my message to the discussion list, the Office of the Administrator is a real problem if any sort of "naming prohibition" is adopted, because just about every game duty at least indirectly refers to the Administrator, and R208 (The Administrator) *does* name a specific player.

I propose to solve this problem by making the Administrator an Elected Office, however one which does not have any fixed term (i.e. if Joel doesn't resign, nothing will change). The idea is that the Administrator will no longer be a specific player, since he can resign at any time, and a working "naming prohibition" rule can be created.

Note that, if the proposal is adopted, a 2/3 majority will be required to remove the Administrator (with a Motion of no Confidence). With the current rules, only a simple majority is required (to change R208). So this will not weaken his position.

I make the following proposal, entitled "The Administrator is an Elected Office that does not expire".

--

Amend Rule 208 to read:

"The Office of the Administrator is an Elected Office which does not have a Term of Office (i.e. the Officer stays in Office until e resigns or is removed from eir Office by other means). The Administrator is responsible for all game duties not assigned by the Rules to other Officers.

The Office is initially held by the Player whose real name is Joel Uckelman."

Amend Rule 110 by adding the following paragraph:

"If the Administrator resigns, e shall name a Player who will assume his duties until the Office is again filled. If the Administrator has resigned without naming any Player, the first Player who publicly announces that e will assume the Administrator's duties shall do so until the Office is again filled."

--

Joerg