Dan Percival on Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:05:51 -0700 (MST)

Re: [game-lang] Late to the party

Joel, I'm curious about what you mean by "presentation behavior," too. Do you have a particular example in mind?

Dan

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Richard Walter <rwalter42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey Joel,

I didn't realize that you were here also.  Cool.

> Thus spake Richard Walter:
> > I view logic & UI as two different aspects that need to be tied together.
> > There is no reason that two players couldn't view the same game state
> > with wildly different graphical presentations.
>
> This is one of my goals for VASSAL 4, to have a game model able to
> support clients other than the one we build. What I'm struggling with
> presently is that there's a third thing which you might call
> "presentation behavior" that people seem also interested in
> manipulating, and it's not clear to me whether this can be made client-
> independent, and if so, how to do that.

By "presentation behavior" do you mean "methods used to change game state"?

For example, in Chess, a move could be characterized as either a single "move piece from s1 to s2" or the pair "pick up piece at s1" + "set piece down at s2".  In the UI, the first could be a drag, while the second could be a click/move/click operation.  Some human players may prefer one or the other (and either would work), but I can see that designing a model to support both simultaneously would add extra complexity.

-Richard