Dan Percival on Fri, 3 Aug 2012 16:22:55 -0700 (MST)

Re: [game-lang] Late to the party

Simon,

That's quite an overview of the computer-Mao problem!

I'm curious if you have an example in mind of a game in which intentional rule-breaking formally causes a loss while unintentional rule-breaking doesn't. In a large part, the rules of games "just are," and enforcing them is outside the scope of the game. (A counter-example I can think of is Diplomacy, which specifically states that rule violations are allowed but must be rolled back once discovered, if possible.) GDL implicitly uses this formulation, such that state transitions that break the rules are impossible. This is reasonable(!), but worth noting.