Joel Uckelman on Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:11:21 -0700 (MST)

Re: [game-lang] Language Syntax

Thus spake Simon McGregor:

> Oh dear. I love indentation syntax, so I'm a sad puppy. ;-)
>
> For the non-visually-impaired, indentation syntax makes for
> significantly more readable code. There's less visual clutter (e.g.
> lines consisting only of parentheses) and you have to work far less to
> match up braces and brackets.
>
> I resent having to wade through someone else's badly indented code;
> you can run the code through a code tidier if you can be bothered to
> install and compile one, but Python cuts out that process by making
> tidy code mandatory. Boo-ya! Of course, if you use a non-visual
> interface, it might suck (for you, not for anyone else who has to look
> at your code). It's possible to lay your code out badly in Python, but
> you have to work at it.
>
> I'm sure you've heard this all before! Out of interest, and without
> really hoping to persuade you otherwise, what do you dislike so much
> about it?

The way that Python forces you to layout your code it not always the
best for readability; judicious use of whitespace and delimiters, when
properly formatted help readability rather than hinder it.

--
J.