Michael Gorman on Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:50:45 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] losing players

I think it is incorrect to say we plan for a quit after three years strategy. The first game melted down and it just became untenable to keep it going for player reasons. There was a lot of frustration over how things were being run and we were popping through players like Pez.

While we still have many of the frustrating house rules that I would really like to see us scrap, this current game has flowed much more smoothly overall. I think we've just gotten used to how our game is set up. This game is ending early because it's over. JJ kicked ass and took names and he is going to win so much sooner than the normal game end that no one else can reasonably claim a chance to win without JJ bending over backwards to help out.

I will probably drop out fairly soon if we play this game out not due to Prussia's posture, but because the game will be boring since the end is already known. What's the point of playing the last few years when I already know how it's going to end? We're at the point where resignations become the right way to go since a clear and early winner has skyrocketed ahead and there is no effective way for anyone inclined to attack him to do so. JJ has enforced peace with three great powers and will almost certainly have one with Austria soon. So in the next year and a half, the only two countries who could hinder JJ are Prussia and Turkey and I know I'd be insane to cross Britain when they're help is the only thing that has kept me going so far and I can't imagine Turkey coming out ahead against a nation that can completely shut down Turkish sea lanes.

A year and a half of just reaping the profits of his victories will only make it that much harder for anyone to catch up with Britain and then to actually bother Britain, someone would have to build one hell of a lot of ships and by the time that's done, the game will be so close to ending that it'll be too late to do anything.

Your long term strategy has not played out this game since JJ won a blitz victory. Now, I suspect victory on that magnitude is not going to be a likely result in every game, even a good player needs a good bit of luck to come out that far ahead that fast, so quitting in three years is not likely to be standard unless the reasons are that we as players can't get along.

I think this game has to go up as a win far beyond the norm and one that will naturally end early. You got unlucky having to rely on a long term strategy in a game where a short term strategy won, but in most games you would probably be ahead going for the long view.

Mike