Michael Gorman on Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:52:06 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] losing players

At 07:35 AM 7/23/2005, you wrote:
> 2)  If a MP that loses a player is in the political crapper, maybe whoever
> inherits that MP can be given the _minimum_ VPs required to give them a
> chance to win.  I'm not sure exactly how this would be calculated, but I'm
> sure some of the math gurus in the group may have thoughts on this.
> :)
>
> Hopefully this will be a springboard for a solution.

    This isn't a bad idea.  If we need to recruit someone to fill a vacant
position, we can give them either the country's current VP total OR the VPs
that they would have at that point in the game if they were on track to
victory.  So even if they would have an uphill climb ahead of them, that
still gives them a chance at victory.
    Of course, this is still pending Joel's reasoning as to how changing one
country's victory conditions to help a new player would disadvantage other
countries.  (Let me point out again that this game is not designed to have
one winner, as many people have seemed to assume over the last couple
weeks.)

kdh
We're not assuming there can be only one winner in every game. We're stating that if you do the math, there WILL be only one winner in THIS game.