Kyle H on Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:31:11 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] losing players

    I'm sorry guys, but I am simply not interested in playing another game
of the same variety we have played for the last two campaigns.  And as far
as I can tell, no one is interested in trying to find mechanisms to ensure
that this game is any more durable than the last two.  I hope you won't take
this in an accusatory way.  Apparently, this game simply isn't intrinsically
durable enough to support the type of game that it advertises (i.e. a
1805-1815 campaign).  For a little while I was trying to think of fixes for
this lack of durability, but the durability of a game like this is probably
more about player attitudes than it is about game mechanics/incentives,
anyway.  Consequently, I have no confidence that anything will change even
if we do make a tweak here or there to the rules.
    I think you'd all be better off finding someone else to play in my spot.
My enjoyment from the game came from thinking of it as a long term endeavor.
Since Joel and Mike have pointed out many reasons why a short term strategy
is often optimal, I am very much less interested in playing.  So much so
that I don't think it's worth my while any more.
    Luckily, Mark just recently made his availability known, so that
alleviates any guilt I might otherwise have felt about leaving you in the
lurch.  I have the feeling that things will go much more smoothly without me
anyway.
    I wish you all the best in your new game.

kdh

P.S.  Please remove my email from the EIA list serve.