Peter Cooper Jr. on Sat, 9 May 2015 17:05:27 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Welcoming more new players!

On May 9, 2015, at 7:03 PM, Justin Ahmann <quesmarktion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I object, on the grounds that the uniquely identifying name I wish to be known by contained in my earlier message is "incipitorial", not "Justin Ahmann".  The latter is not uniquely identifying.
>
> Codae

Wow, Rule 1-4 is really terribly worded the more I look at it. (And the more everybody seems to be playing with it.) I was originally tempted to rule that per Rule 1-9’s "E must also specify any targets and/or parameters necessary for that action” that since the uniquely identifying name wasn’t clearly specified that it didn’t take effect, but I decided that in the absence of anything else to just use your From header, as it’s a clear identifying name that wasn’t previously used and was a part of your message. Now I’m wishing I did rule the other way and disallow it. But now that I look at it more, one would need to twist it really hard to see the joining allowed by Rule 1-4 as a Game Action in the sense described by Rule 1-9.

In the meantime, I think I’m going to just stand by what I originally did, as in the face of ambiguity I’ll just pick something that seems reasonable at the time. (And anybody else is welcome to the role of Administrator if they really want it.)

I’ll be happy to submit a Tweak to set your name to whatever you actually want it to be, however.

--
Peter C.