Rainbow Wolfe on Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:33:50 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Fwd: Initial Rules Set / Meta-Game - An Experiment in Thought Gaming

Okay, so we want to stick with the convention of super legalistic then"? :)

Anyone else have anything else to add before I start to smooth this initial
set over? Revision numbers? Clock on / off (even though it will continue to
run from wherever is currently is)? fora? unique naming conventions?
Justice/CFI? Or can we add versions of these as we go?

- Rainbow Wolfe

On 28 August 2011 18:19, Ed Murphy <emurphy42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Rainbow Wolfe wrote:
>
> > {
> > *Meta-Rules*
> >
> > Meta-Rule #1
> > All players have the right to propose, change or amend rules [[via emails
> > sent to spoon-business]], and to discuss proposed rules and rule changes
> > [[though emails sent to spoon-discuss]].
>
> "All players have the right to propose rules and rule changes"
>
> > Meta-Rule #2
> > All players have the right to vote on proposed rules.
>
> "and rule changes"
>
> > Meta-Rule #3
> > A proposal becomes a Law when 1/2 or more of the voting players agree
> that
> > it should. LAWs must be followed by whomever is required by Law to follow
> > them.
>
> "more than 1/2 of".  And what's a "voting player"?  If the first vote is
> FOR, is it immediately adopted?
>
> > Meta-Rule #4
> > Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by a rule is permitted and
> > unregulated, with the sole exception of changing the rules, which is
> > permitted only when a rule or set of rules explicitly or implicitly
> permits
> > it.
> > *[[reference: The Paradox of Self-Amendment, Appendix 3, Nomic Immutable
> > Rule 116]]*
>
> Are laws rules?  Are meta-rules rules?
>
> > Meta-Rule #5
> > If the rules are changed so that further play is impossible, or if the
> > legality of a move cannot be determined with finality, or a move appears
> > equally legal and illegal, then the Meta-Rules may take precedence.
> > *[[reference: The Paradox of Self-Amendment, Appendix 3, Nomic Mutable
> Rule
> > 213]]*
> > **
>
> Do they definitely take precedence?  What if the laws claim otherwise?
> (reference: http://students.imsa.edu/~dwarf/agora/theses/andre-an.html)
>
> > **Meta-Rule #6
> > Meta-Rules may only be created, deleted, or amended when *all* of the
> active
> > players agree to it.
> > **
> > *Game Conventions*
>
> Does "game conventions" include all laws, or just the initial set of
> laws?  Does it have any further importance?
>
> >  Law #01 - LAW
> > The oldest pending proposal may become Law if any of the following are
> > true:-
> >
> >    - It has a number of FOR votes that exceed or equal Quorum
> >    - It has been open for voting for at least 1nweek and more than half
> of
> >    its votes are FOR
> >
> > The oldest pending proposal may fail to become Law if any of the
> following
> > are true:-
> >
> >    - It has a number of AGAINST votes that exceed or equal Quorum.
> >    - It has been open for voting for at least 1nweek and half or fewer of
> [...]

Hobbes: Why are you digging a hole?

Calvin: I'm looking for buried treasure.

Hobbes: What have you found?

Calvin: A few dirty rocks, a weird root, and some disgusting grubs.

Hobbes: On your first try?

Calvin: There's treasure everywhere!