Jeff Gitchel on Thu, 20 May 2010 10:38:12 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Newbie Looking for the Mentor Pool

On 20/05/2010, at 10:37, James Baxter <jebaxter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> From: gitchel@xxxxxxxxx
>> To: spoon-discuss@xxxxxxxxx; spoon-business@xxxxxxxxx
>> Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 09:23:19 -0500
>> Subject: Re: [s-d] [s-b] Newbie Looking for the Mentor Pool
>>
>> Well, the Minister has spoken. So, as I understand it, Murphy becomes my mentor.
>
> Yes, even if he doesn't the game will brush over it in 14 days so in the meantime we can act like the assignment worked.
>
>> However, Murphy has, announced an objection to that ruling. So, we would resort to something like a CFI next.
>
> Murphy hasn't objected.

My apologies. I took his request to be removed from the pool and the assignment as an objection.

>> Seems a bit excessive just to get a little education. So, let's skip all that, and just try a few things out. I'll let the results teach me.
>>
>> Since it appears the mentor pool is empty, and the only recourse under that rule is for players to be encouraged to join it, and the only other cure was for a proclamation to force someone into it, and that has now led to a litigious remedy I prefer not to peruse, I'm going to go Rule 22 on it.
>

> By my reasoning the mentor pool is full. However, the membership of the mentor pool is ambiguous so it might be best to CFI on it.

I've already bitten off a bigger bite than I should have. I'll wait a bit before I take on the legal system.

>> I am announcing my assumption of the position of Mentor to myself.
>
> You could announce that but as you're not a minister it wouldn't become true.

I should have worded that better in any case. I certainly didn't mean to make a Ministerial announcement. I meant that I was going to assume that duty, since I saw no prohibition against that. Now, of course, I see the rule states that Mentors are "assigned."

There are a couple of confusions in that rule, BTW. If a mentor is assigned, why must there be a pool? And if your assumption that the pool is full is true, when is it ever empty? Do players have to join the pool before they are in it? If so, then there SHOULD be a roster. If they are on the list in some sort of default way, then it hardly makes sense to encourage them to join it.

I toyed with the idea of taking on the vacant Minister of Default position, which I think "any" player can do, and then assigning myself Mentor to myself, but that level of complication is still beyond me, and seemed remarkably presumptuous.

Anyway, If anything, this all shows the value of having a Mentor. Probably would have run something like this past him first  ;-)