Craig Daniel on Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:21:30 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] [change] Ballot for nweek 160 - 03 Nov 2009.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Geoffrey Spear <wooble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Craig Daniel <teucer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The correct verdict appears, to me, to rest entirely on whether or not
>> reposting a message to the PF with the obvious intent of doing that
>> stuff publicly works even if you don't chop off the headers and the >
>> before every line. I assert that it does, and that making it
>> straightforward to do things to the PF is in the best interests of the
>> game - especially as people have been known to make such reposts with
>> only the letters "ttPF" rather than an explicit "I do this ttPF." This
>> former phrasing does not explicitly perform the actions any more than
>> Marr's repost-with-apology did, but we have generally accepted it in
>> the past.
>
> 'ttPF' is clearly a synonym for "I'm publishing the below-quoted
> message to the public forum".  I'd argue that "sorry, I always get
> this wrong" isn't, especially if the quoted message clearly got
> something wrong other then being sent to s-d.

'ttPF' is IMO much more clearly a synonym for "This message, which by
the way quotes some actions I didn't take, is being sent to the public
forum." But it's also unambiguous that what is intended is for it to
be considered not merely a quotation but a reposting, performing the
actions in question to the PF - and the "sorry, I always get this
wrong" has an identical intent that is equally clear to anyone not
being wilfully obtuse.

Now, that doesn't mean it works, but it seems clear to me that it
works iff a bare "ttPF" works - and I think for the good of the game
they should both be found efficacious.

 - teucer