Ed Murphy on Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:20:02 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Will it fly?

Billy Pilgrim wrote:

> But my other question is: how is this different from the may/can/shall
> distinction you tried just recently? Why the switch?

The usual BINA rant aside, there's actually a substantive reason for
the difference here:  "Shall I?" has started to draw the line in a
different place (can/may/must = physical, shall = legal) than Agora
(can = physical, may/must/shall = legal), so the new version of the
proposal continues to draw the line in that same place.

Also, in B's tradition of being Unsafe At Any Speed, this proposal
attempts to apply itself to everything at once (whereas Agora's
RFC-ism of all-caps was designed to make it clear what had or hadn't
been deliberately converted to the new system).  At least any needed
fixes can (by the time this would be adopted) be tweaked quickly.