Jamie Dallaire on Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:26:19 -0700 (MST)

[s-d] Silly game actions question, probably does not matter

5E10: A Game Action is defined as any activity specified by the Rules that
changes the state of the game. To perform a Game Action, an Outsider must
post a message to a Public Forum specifying that they are taking that
action.

Say I were to contact w1n5t0n through some method outside of the Public
Forum. Private email, let's say. And I were to say "Hey w1n5t0n, if you
retract your vote AGAINST Prop 588 and instead vote FOR, I'll give you m100!
AND, of course, I'll love you forever." Say w1n5t0n did that, and then say I
gave him m100 and everything else.

Wouldn't my private email to w1n5t0n, outside of the Public Forum, have
changed the state of the game? Perhaps, even, drastically?

Would the act of communicating with w1n5t0n, performed by an Outsider
outside of a Public Forum, constitute a Game Action?

Perhaps we need to add the word "directly" to that first sentence of 5E10?

Thoughts?

Billy Pilgrim

PS: Gah, why did I go and pick w1n5t0n of all Players, for this example?
Such a horribly inconvenient name to type. I kid you not, after the third
time I typed it, I copied it and just started pasting it in, instead. Had I
thought of such considerations before starting, I'd have picked j. j. Nice,
solid, dependable name. j. Right there, under the index finger on my
dominant hand, nary a SHIFT to hit. Truly, I doubt there exists ANY more
convenient name.

PPS: As you can doubtless tell from the PS, I've made a handy recovery. I'm
out of hospital, now using a regular keyboard, touchpad, and screen rather
than that sweet, sweet brain-cpu interface. w1n5t0n, you were convenient
too, there. It's not your fault... It's the fault of our flawed
ergonomics...