Jamie Dallaire on Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:39:38 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Paranoid

Sgeo: Are you saying that people have memorized numbers, and have been
relying on the memorization? Or at least tried and obviously failed?

Maybe, but not necessarily. It's also remarkably easy to accidentally type
87 instead of 88, e.g.

Sgeo: Do rule numbers affect precedence in any way?

Yes. But we should probably review that. Either find some different
precedence mechanism or renumber carefully. As it now stands, numbers
actually have little to do with what SHOULD have precedence over what...
Aside from older rules having smaller numbers (which ehird's proposal would
shaft... although it would, on the bright side, give the smallest numbers to
all the "core" rules).

Sgeo: Hm.. perhaps maybe Rules could have numbers but proposals specifying
specific rules to amend/repeal cannot refer to those numbers?

I guess that does make sense. We could maybe then have something where we
devote more attention to modifying rule powers or some equivalent and to
specifying, in rules, which other rules they take precedence over, but at
the same time we keep the rule number requirement. Just that we shouldn't
necessarily rely on rule numbering to establish intelligent precedence
orders, but that it's a handy fallback that can let us keep gamestate in one
piece when unforeseen contradictions arise (which, I guess, is usually how
they arise).

Charles: How about we all just be more careful in drafting and voting on
proposals? I know this may come as a shock to some of us, but not every
solution to every problem involves a ruleset fix.

That makes sense too. But people aren't generally known for being "careful".
That's why you see things like retirement fund contributions being
automatically taken off people's paychecks, because people won't necessarily
be careful about those things on their own. But I guess you're not the
biggest fan of paternalistic policies ;-)

BP