Craig Daniel on Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:40:14 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Minsky, Inc: the public-access contract-programmable counter machine!

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Jamie Dallaire
<bad.leprechaun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Craig Daniel <teucer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I submit and agree to the following contract:
>>
>> {
>> any player may leave this Contract at any
>> time.
>

> I leave the Contract constituting the Articles of Incorporation for Minsky,
> Inc. woooo!

Heh.

> Also, here's a wording conflict I spotted:
>

>> Minsky, Inc. may take no game actions except for joining Contracts and
>> performing game actions required of it by Contracts to which it is a
>> party (potentially including this one).
>

>> As a
>> game action, Minsky, Inc. may (if not prohibited from doing so by any
>> part of this Contract) create or destroy any specified number of
>> Tallies;
>

> The first part effectively prohibits the second part, which I don't think
> was your intention. (The second part only says that messing with tallies is
> permissible (and potentially can be prohibited), while the first part
> prohibits anything that is not obligatory. permissible not= obligatory)

Yep. It can't be arbitrarily altered; it has to be given a program.
You write those in the form of programs that make it obligatory for
Minsky, Inc. to take certain game actions, suddenly, it can and does.

>> There are one hundred twenty-eight unique Registers, each of which has
>> a unique number N associated with it and may be referred to by number
>> through the phrase "Register N" or similar. The numbers of the
>> registers are the integers from zero through one hundred twenty-seven.
>> }
>

> But seriously, I am intrigued. What does Minsky, Inc. do??

It does whatever the hell you want it to. It's Turing-complete.

That said, in practice ehird is right - if you got *too* fancy, the
MoT (or more likely the MoB, depending who gets stuck tracking its
internal state) will be mighty irritated.