Tyler on Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:09:14 -0700 (MST)

[s-d] Tweak,

Ok, Hose, per your objection, the tweak is not activated. But what are
tweaks for if not to do simple things that seem like they would be
unanimous? Is there anyone who wouldn't vote for the tweak if it were a (so
called standard) proposal?

Billy Pilgrim wrote:
"I believe that's covered by the "Rule Powers and Precedence" rule, whose
number I can't remember. But you're right in that pretty much all the rules
save for one or two have the same power. If I'm not mistaken though (again,
can't see the rules right now), there is a clause in there about rule number
mattering in case of equal power, right? E.g. Rule 33 would trump Rule 52 if
they conflicted and had identical power. I think. Thing I was wondering
about, recently, however, in terms of both rule precedence and the temporal
order of events, is how things synch up when, for example, a rule
contradicts itself in 2 different sections. Could happen with piece-by-piece
modifications of massive rules like the Proposals one..."

Yeah, you're right. I missed the part where it said the lower number also
governed precedence. And no, it doesn't cover self-contradiction. Maybe we
should add a bit to say that the lower (on the page) paragraph takes
precedence over the higher one. That's how it was in the original Nomic if
I'm not mistaken.

Billy Pilgrim wrote:
"There was also a bit
about temporal precedence in that some rule says that XYZ occurs when ABC
occurs, and the occurence of ABC is provided by a different rule with a
lower number. Since rule number plays a role in the order that things happen
when they're all otherwise simultaneous (e.g. end of an nweek), does that
mean XYZ would occur immediately after ABC and before another supposed event
MNO that was defined by an intermediately-numbered rule? Or would it go ABC
- MNO - XYZ? IIRC it doesn't actually matter right now, though..."

If I were the priest on that one, I would say:
Rule 75 (there's the number you were looking for) says it goes, "Changes
detailed in the Rules, in order of precedence (highest first) of the Rules
that call for each change." Since your hypothetical rule doesn't say what
order they go in, but that they occur simultaneously, it doesn't affect rule
75's effect. Whatever rule calls for each action decides the order.

Billy Pilgrim wrote: "How'd you
like to be Black Corporation's newest member?"

Actually, I like your work co-op. But I don't have the mack to buy even one
sock. Maybe next week I will, when a few props of mine pass. Unless you were
willing to loan me about 50 mack? First of all, you should resolve that
rewrite motion and dividend yourself something. You've got 500 mack in there
you probably don't want to share with me.

--
-Tyler