Jamie Dallaire on Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:05:27 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Billy Pilgrim's Refresh Proposal

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Geoffrey Spear <geoffspear@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Charles Schaefer
> <chuckles11489@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Wouldn't this make the Paranoia-based emergency valid? I don't think we
> need
> > to run a second emergency procedure.
>
> That would be an illegal retroactive effect, since the Emergency needs
> to have actually started before the RP could be adopted.  It's not
> sufficient for an RP to set the gamestate to what it would be if the
> Paranoia Emergency had actually started using the procedures of
> Paranoia Emergency without suspending the no retroactive effects
> clause.

OK I'm just getting very confused now. I think my updated RP skirts around
this issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not really sure at
all. The RP can be validly adopted because we ARE in an emergency (unless
you are convinced by the Tweak) of the Panic Button type. Starting the
Mental States emergency early would be dangerous and I'm not sure if it
would even happen anyway, you're right. But my RP specifically avoids having
anything to do with a Paranoia emergency. Does it do it successfully, you
think?

BP