Jamie Dallaire on Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:01:52 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] take THIS, causality!

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Roger Hicks <pidgepot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Geoffrey Spear <geoffspear@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Having received no Objection, I activate this Tweak.
> >
> Hooray! Now can we put all this emergency nonsense behind us and get
> on with the game?

No we can't (if my memory of the rules is correct -- the wiki is down)! :-D
No objections were received, granted. However, no rdays have passed either.
And IIRC the rules state a Tweak can be activated if no objections have been
voiced within a certain number of rdays. Or a Jiffy maybe, which is defined
in terms of rdays. The emergency suspends any modes of tracking time used
within the game, including ndays, rdays, and ndelays.

And even the Tweak's weird assault on causality doesn't fix this. Whatever
set of Rules you're working with, we're in an emergency and have been since
before the Tweak was submitted. None of what the Tweak does in the past
actually pulls us out of the emergency (in the past) and validates the
Tweak's objection period (not that I'm entirely convinced that would work
anyway...). IF it worked the Tweak would only end the emergency the moment
it was activated, not before activation, therefore no rdays have passed
since submission, and the Tweak has no way of having been activated.

At this point, with a Pause of 3 (I was gonna ask 0x44 to try and increment
that but please don't... the increment would occur in 24 hours, setting the
Pause to 5, and thus making a first round voting period of soemthing like 9
hours in length if you did that right now). I think the quickest way to
resolve the issue is simply to wait for Pause 5 and vote in an RP (if we
make consensus on one before the voting begins, that will accelerate the
multi-round voting process). The other alternative would be another tweak
that makes even bigger and more dubious modifications to everything, so I
don't think it's worth the trouble.

BP