Roger Hicks on Fri, 16 May 2008 07:38:47 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Without Objection

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Mike McGann <mike.mcgann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Geoffrey Spear <geoffspear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> A system of contract law where anyone who's not actually affected by a
>> contract can stop it from taking effect is actually really silly.  Why
>> should Charles have any say in whether you and I can agree to do
>> something?
>
> Yes, that is why I was suggesting the objection only by players
> eligible to become parties to the contract. If I create a contract
> between you and I, no one else should be able to object. If you have
> no interest in becoming a party to the contract, you should be able to
> object to it to clear it from the gamestate. What I do not agree with
> is that anyone can create any kind of contract at anytime. That
> encourages spam abuse. The no objection requirement is too restrictive
> but that was more in an over reaction to my dislike of pancakes.

This "spam abuse" has never materialized. Agora allows anyone to
create a contract at any time and although the mechanism has been used
for a few scams there is not prolific spam abuse there. Why should we
ever prevent someone from creating an agreement with someone else?

BobTHJ