ihope on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:41:26 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultation: Usurping

On 12/02/2008, Mike McGann <mike.mcgann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If Y is true, X cannot be done according to A, but it can be done with
> Z according to B.
>
> If Y is false, then you have one sentence that reads "May do X" and
> another that reads "May do X with Z". That's why I said that B applies
> an additional restriction on A. Both A and B allow X to be done in
> this case, but B requires Z.

Rule 4E21, "Objecting", states that a certain amount of time after an
action is attempted, it happens, under some condition. Since it would
be crazy to let people attempt to do things in private, the logical
conclusion is that an attempt to do something must be stated in
public.  Rule 4E22, "Supporting", uses the same wording: "after the
nday the action was attempted". Therefore, this "attempted" is most
logically the same type of "attempted" as in 4E21 and therefore is
something to be stated in public; therefore, sentence B actually
states that a Player may state that he attempts to usurp. This
usurping automatically takes place after the time period is up.

Besides, I think you're assuming that "X unless Y" implies "if Y then
not X". Whether this is actually true or not is probably open to
question.

--Ivan Hope CXXVII