Mike McGann on Wed, 2 Jan 2008 10:00:27 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultation: the Field

On Jan 2, 2008 11:29 AM, 0x44 <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You can tile a sphere with squares, from the perspective of the surface
> of the sphere they are square, from the perspective of an observer they
> are curved. In a Field Match participants exist upon the field,
> therefore the squares are square, even if they're saddle-shaped so as to
> tile the torus.

Probably a better way to say it is that they are tiled with squares
when projected to a two dimensional surface. I think the field is okay
as is. I'll go outside right now, with a stick of chalk, and draw a
square on the sidewalk. If you want to argue that it is not a square
because I'm drawing on the ellipsoid of the Earth, so be it, but I'll
still call it a square. I think it is fine to describe the geometry of
the field is loose terms without having to resort to forward and
inverse functions to map conversions from 3-D to 2-D.

- Hose