Jamie Dallaire on Tue, 25 Dec 2007 14:38:49 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Let's get dangerous

On Dec 25, 2007 1:57 PM, Justin Ahmann <quesmarktion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A few things:
>
> You do not define the verb "to Pelt."

I figured that was implied in that Pelt is the name of the power. The
same way that Stab is the name of one of the rapier's powers.

> Rocks can only be used against Level-7-or-higher Players, which, according to the wiki, currently are as follows:
>
> Billy Pilgrim
> Wooble
> Hose
> Peter
> BobTHJ
> Aaron C
>
> Is this intentional?

Yes. I figured it might be interesting to have battles play out where
higher level players need to co-opt lower level players, by whatever
means they deem appropriate, to defend themselves. i.e. if a bunch of
lower level players decide to gang up on me, I could attempt to defend
myself by co-opting some individuals from among their number to be
part of my riot squad. Also bear in mind this mechanism could be used
to have higher level players battle by proxy (i.e. Wooble hires
minions to assault me, I can attempt to hire my own to defend) though
the initial spirit of it was that the initiative to attack would come
from the pelters themselves. I picked level 7 as a cutoff because
looking at the group of current players I figured 7 or 8 would be
appropriate, given the relative numbers of players of different
levels. Actually now that I look at it again 8 might have been more
appropriate, but then again I didn't want to be accused of attempting
to create a device that can be used against a group of players that
excludes myself (I'm level 7 currently iirc). Also keep in mind one
way to avoid being pelted repeatedly is to trade in some points to
drop to level 6. Ferocious pelting could potentially (and now that I
think about it perhaps optimally through some slightly modified future
iteration of this proposal if it doesn't pass as is, this nweek,
because perhaps the potential damage done per day should be higher
especially as more and more pelters pile on during a two rday period)
be a way of auto-leveling the playing field with regard to points by
giving high level players incentive to shed some of their points and
drop down, as one possible strategy.

Billy Pilgrim