Jamie Dallaire on Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:39:05 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Codae's Refresh Proposal

On Nov 29, 2007 3:57 PM, 0x44 <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> More seriously, since you insisted. I don't like that you've explicitly
> defined what actions are permitted. First, because your defined actions
> are incomplete - they don't take into account the new hit-points,
> levels, what have you. Second, because you didn't specify them as /game/
> actions, your Refresh proposal prohibits me from brushing my teeth,
> getting a tattoo, or eating breakfast. Third, your strictly defined list
> of actions is contrary to the spirit of B Nomic - it's hard to throw
> logical hand grenades about when your freedom of action is constrained.

He didn't say that at all.

I quote:
{
If an action is mentioned in the Rules, it is illegal for a Player to
perform such action unless the Rules explicitly allow said action to be
performed by the aforementioned Player in the current gamestate, or, in a
sentence not part of Comment Text, describe such a Player performing said
action.

The following actions are legal to perform unless such performance
constitutes an illegal action due to a rule other than this one:
to designate, deem, consider, or say anything to be anything
to attempt to organize the Procedure described in Rule 0
to maintain a Public Display
to Forfeit the game
}

The way I read this is that the bottom list is not a list of the only
permissible actions, but rather that these things are specifically always
legal to perform unless explicitly forbidden by another rule. It is also
illegal to perform any other action mentioned in the Rules except in
accordance with what the rules explicitly allow. If brushing your teeth does
not come up in the ruleset, you may do it.

Billy Pilgrim