William Berard on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:34:26 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Codae's Refresh Proposal

On 11/28/07, Justin Ahmann <quesmarktion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, the point of the Oracularities vote would be to give a quick
> decision to avoid a "quantum state" situation (although the vote would take
> three or four ndays) by resolving the problem quickly (I apologize for
> redundancy), so no, I do not think quorum should be required.  There
> probably should be a  minimum number of votes, however, to prevent the
> Chairman/Oracle and Supporters from dominating.

In that respect you rpoposal is not that different from BobTHJ's, where
there are four days to vote upon the validity of an answer deemign an action
valid or not, except in his version, if the action is confirmed valid, the
oracularities passes automatically.

Some kind of minimum number of votes would indeed make the process safer,
though ( it is probably what is missing from BobTHJ's proposal, but it is
assumed, given the pace of the game, that any blatantly invalid action
backed up by an inconsistent consultation will be voted against by a
sufficient number of players in the time frame allowed. This is a valdi
argument as long as the pace of the game holds at the level we have observer
in the past week.)

What is an ex aequo? (Wow, this post has six q's!)

I'm not quite sure this word is used in english. What if there is the same
number of vote for and against?

I'm just pointing at those kind of issues to stress out that if you are to
implement a "quick vote" system (which in itself is not a bad idea, IMHO)
that is distinct and independant from the main, scheduled voting system, you
should try and come up with a more solid legislative framework, dealing with
exceptions, quorums, special cases, and so on, as this is typically the kind
of things that need to be rock-tight. But that's just my opinion.