William P. Berard on Tue, 27 Nov 2007 02:36:29 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Revising 0x44's Refresh Proposal

Le 27 nov. 07, à 01:14, 0x44 a écrit :

> The majority of this is lifted unedited from BobTHJ's Refresh
> proposal. My changes lie only in Rule 3-12 and 3-14. The gist of my
> changes remove the concept of blueprints, make device creation a
> proposal by the Artisan, and clean up the auctions.
>
> I revise my refresh proposal to read as follows:
> Amend Rule 3-12 to state:
> {{
> Devices:
> ---
> A "device" is a type of game object.
>
> Only players may own devices.
>
> There is an attribute "device owner": its scope is all devices; its
> range is all players. The default value is defined when the device is
> defined. The owner of any given device is the value of the device
> owner attribute of that device. As a game action the owner of a device
> may transfer ownership to any other player. In this case, the
> ownership attribute changes to the new player.
>
> All devices are either "unique" or "non-unique". There cannot be more
> than one of each unique device in the game at any given time. When a
> non-unique device is defined, the definition must state how many such
> devices exist.
>
> A device may have powers. Each power consists of an "effect" - what
> happens when the power is used; "conditions" - things that must be
> true for the effect to take place; and optionally a "trigger" -
> something that must happen to trigger the effect. The rule or rules
> defining a device detail the powers associated with it.
>
> If there is any choice to be made about how a device is triggered or
> what objects it affects then the owner and only the owner of the
> device makes that decision; and must make it when it is triggered. The
> rules must explicitly state the nature of the choice. If there is any
> other ambiguity in the rules about how a power assigned to a device
> works, then that power has no effect.
>
> Price is an Attribute with a Scope of all devices, a Range of
> nonnegative rational amounts of currency, and a Default Value of 50
> mackerel.
> }}

How about including the possibility for an owner to destroy a device?
I submitted this proposal today before the emergency. how about
device-destroying devices?

> Amend Rule 3-14 to state:
> {{
> There exists a ministry known as the Ministry of Goods. The Minister
> of Goods, also known as the Artisan, is responsible for maintaining a
> Public Display of all currently existing devices and their Attributes,
> Properties, and current states. In addition, the Artisan must maintain
> a Public Display of all currently existing blueprints and their
> Attributes, Properties, and default states.
>
> Once per nweek, the Artisan may, as a game action on behalf of the
> Ministry of Goods create a proposal to define a single device, and can
> do so no later than Ballotday of that nweek. On Ballotday this
> proposal shall be made Open and voted upon. On nday1, if the proposal
> succeeds, the device is created. If the proposal does not succeed, the
> device is not created, cannot ever be created, and the Artisan loses
> m50.

I like the idea of making the Artisan lose money there. Would the
proposal be voted upon in the same fashion as regular proposals?
tallying, quorum, awarding of points?

> Any player with sufficient currency may purchase a device from the
> Ministry of Goods. Upon purchase, a device is instantly defined based
> on a blueprint designated by this player, who becomes the device
> owner. The price, as specified by the blueprint in question, is
> instantly subtracted from this player's currency.

tsk tsk tsk.. what blueprint? you removed the concept of blueprint?

> To purchase a non-unique device, a player announces his intent via a
> Public Forum, as a Game Action. The Artisan may, at any time and
> without 2 objections within 2 ndays, alter the price of any non-unique
> blueprint.
>
> Any unique device is put to auction immediately upon creation. Any
> player, including the Artisan, may, as a Game Action, submit a
> non-retractable bid via a Public Forum, specifying an amount of
> mackerel. The highest amount of mackerel bid on a device is its price.

What if several players bid the full price? maybe the underlying
assumption, there, is that the artisan will define a very high price so
the maximum cannot be reached? I don't think a maximum bidding price is
necessary... it is an auction, after all.

> Bidding ends at the start of Halfday [[nday 6]], at which time the
> unique device is purchased, if possible, by the highest bidder. A
> highest bidder with insufficient mackerel may attempt to collect
> sufficient mackerel during 1 additional nday, at the end of which
> purchase occurs if possible. If he fails to collect sufficient
> mackerel, his Voting Power that nweek is set to 0, he loses 25 points,
> and the next highest bidder may purchase the unique device 1 nday
> later. If neither of the two highest bidders successfully purchases
> the unique device, or if such bidders do not exist, the device ceases
> to exist.
>
> }}

I think you're onto something good, but it needs a couple of tweak.
Conceptually, however, I would appreciate it if players could submit
device proposals. This could be amended later, mind you. I'd love to
see a B nomic game where people could build, buy and sell things. This
is why I ma attached to the notion of blueprints...