Daniel Lepage on Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:15:22 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] For the win

On Nov 26, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Roger Hicks wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2007 11:36 AM, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Also, since nothing forbids it, I make all Ministries Vacant, assign
>> all Ministries to myself, change Hose's name to "Foobar", change my
>> name to "Hose" (as Registrar, I approve this name change), and modify
>> rule 0-42 by appending the text "And no other player may ever change
>> the gamestate." Then I reassign all Ministries to the former
>> Ministers.
>>
>> Can we all agree that none of this ever happened?
>>
> Monopoly mode is not an unwritten rule. With the repeal of monopoly
> mode, all actions are permissible except those which are regulated by
> the rules. Changing ministries, becoming/ceasing to be a player, and
> changing the gamestate are all regulated and therefore may not be
> changed except as the rules permit.

On what grounds? Suber's original nomic ruleset had an explicit clause
stating that whatever was not explicitly regulated or forbidden was
implicitly permitted. We don't have such a clause - we repealed it
years ago. And so, as in any other game, we're allowed to do whatever
the rules say we can, and nothing else we do has any standing in the
game.

--
Wonko