Jamie Dallaire on Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:15:00 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Vested Interests

You make some good points about the paper trail. I hadn't thought of that. I
definitely need to find some workaround if this proposal is to work. As for
vacating the ministry at the end of the week, that is true, but I'm sure I
can rework that phrase to say the former minister or something.

As for being unfair, it certainly can be. Perhaps the points are a bit much.
But this kind of rule would just force the apologist and devil's advocate to
work that much harder at pushing certain viewpoints.

Taking these into account I'll think about the idea and will surely resubmit
something. I will also be including a provision I forgot to enter in the
original, that says each of these two players is scored on proposals except
for his own. Not a huge problem for the Apologist, but the Devil's Advocate
could otherwise attempt to submit a large number of outlandish proposals
which would fail with a strength lower than -3 (break even point considering
failed proposals lose 3 points), thought that tactic could of course
backfire if the other players coordinate their voting accordingly (just to
ensure it fails by one vote, for example).

As for the Karma System you propose, I don't really think it's the way to go
because it induces conformity (maybe nominally only - last minute vote
switching - but probably also some players just following the current). I
prefer the idea of Dissent being Patriotic, though my conception of dissent
would simply be going against whatever option - for or against - won, rather
than simply being against everything as in the current proposal. That said
that one can also lead to some last minute switching so I'd be hesitant to
implement it even then.

Billy Pilgrim