Daniel Lepage on Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:58:25 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Oracle report

> As a Game Action, and with the utmost respect for Priest Wonko, I
> submit the Claim that Priest Wonko's ruling on Consultation #12 is
> inconsistent for the reasoning specified in my ruling of Consultation
> #11. It is apparent that Priest Wonko is exercising judicial activism
> (or would it be cardinal activism?) in redefining the specified phrase
> to fit the meaning he believes it intends, instead of the meaning it
> clearly states.

My response and defense:

My ruling does not redefine the phrase "Turing test". This phrase
does not, as you say, refer to any test that attempts to distinguish
between a human and non-human. It instead refers to a specific test
where a human attempts to distinguish between another human and a
computer.

Wikipedia's definition reads:
{{{
The Turing test is a proposal for a test of a machine's capability to
perform human-like conversation. Described by Alan Turing in the 1950
paper "Computing machinery and intelligence", it proceeds as follows:
a human judge engages in a natural language conversation with two
other parties, one a human and the other a machine; if the judge
cannot reliably tell which is which, then the machine is said to pass
the test. It is assumed that both the human and the machine try to
appear human.
}}}

Many similar definitions are available online.

According to this definition, throwing a monkey and a rock off a
cliff is NOT a Turing test. Nor is communicating with a rock and
monkey to try and tell which is which. A Turing Test is precisely the
case when a human judge attempts to distinguish between a computer
and a human. A society is therefore NOT capable of passing a turing
test, simply because the phrase "Turing test" does not include any
test that can be performed on a society.

--
Wonko