Daniel Lepage on Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:22:50 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Tentative Emergency Procedure fix

On Jan 24, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:

> Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> The current Emergency Procedure rule has some flaws. For example, it
>> refers to an "Emergency Forum" without defining it,
>
> It's defined in step 3: "The Emergency Coordinator designates a means
> for PEPs to communicate as the Emergency Forum"

Oh, I missed that.

>> and it also requires that Panic Buttons be Hit in a Public Forum,
>> leaving us stuck if the emergency is that there is no forum.
>
> The 4th paragraph in the rule states "A PEP may post a message to a
> Public Forum or any forum that within the past month was a Public
> Forum stating that e is Hitting eir Panic Button. If e does so, eir
> Panic Button becomes On."
>
> As long as we catch an emergency within a month, I think we're good.

We're fine if the emergency is that there are no designated fora,
because we can just use the previously designated fora.

But if the emergency is that the designated fora are broken, say
because of a crash at nomic.net (this has happened before), then
we're hosed.

>> I have a tentative draft of a new Emergency Procedures section I'm
>> thinking about proposing, but I'd like input before I propose it.
>> It's included below; it's also on the wiki at
>> http://b.nomic.net/wiki/index.php/WonkosEmergencyFix
>> since it's easier to read there.
>
> Rule 0-3: Notifying *all* PEPs may be tough/impossible.

Hmmm. How could that be better put? I want to make sure that we try
to contact every player, preferably by sending email to an address
used by each player recently.

> Rule 0-8: "until the game cease to be in a State of Emergency": I
> believe proper verb agreement would be "ceases".

Didn't you hear that the Council for the Standardization of the
English Language made "game" a plural noun? :D

> Rule 0-9: "only the last one submitted is ever considered; the others
> are destroyed.": only the last one by each PEP, you mean? One might
> read this as the last prop submitted by anyone being the only one ever
> considered, if each time someone submits one it destroys all others.
> "the EC must create one.": What's the timeline for this?

Same as for any other EC requirement - e can take as long as e wants,
but under rule 0-7 any other PEP can supplant em and do it emself if
e takes more than 48 hours.

Regarding the "last one submitted" question, see the start of the
sentence, which is
"If a PEP creates multiple Refresh Proposals during a single
Emergency Period, then"

I thought that made it clear that "the last one" refers to the last
of the set of multiple RPs made by that PEP. I can try to make that
more obvious.

> It'd be nice if there were a way to delay (pause?) the Pause if
> needed.

I'm worried about the EC stopping the Pause and then disappearing
forever... Maybe the EC should be allowed to stop it for any period
of time specified at the time of the stopping.

> Nice work, Wonko. Perhaps we'll prevent B Nomic from exploding one
> day.

Then, suddenly, all players' scores became undefined!

--
Wonko