Peter Cooper Jr. on Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:22:03 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Tentative Emergency Procedure fix

Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> The current Emergency Procedure rule has some flaws. For example, it
> refers to an "Emergency Forum" without defining it,

It's defined in step 3: "The Emergency Coordinator designates a means
for PEPs to communicate as the Emergency Forum"

> and it also requires that Panic Buttons be Hit in a Public Forum,
> leaving us stuck if the emergency is that there is no forum.

The 4th paragraph in the rule states "A PEP may post a message to a
Public Forum or any forum that within the past month was a Public
Forum stating that e is Hitting eir Panic Button. If e does so, eir
Panic Button becomes On."

As long as we catch an emergency within a month, I think we're good.

I did think of some of these cases when writing the rule. :)
I do think that updating/clarifying the rule is a good plan, though.

> I have a tentative draft of a new Emergency Procedures section I'm
> thinking about proposing, but I'd like input before I propose it.
> It's included below; it's also on the wiki at
> http://b.nomic.net/wiki/index.php/WonkosEmergencyFix
> since it's easier to read there.

Rule 0-3: Notifying *all* PEPs may be tough/impossible.

Rule 0-8: "until the game cease to be in a State of Emergency": I
believe proper verb agreement would be "ceases".

Rule 0-9: "only the last one submitted is ever considered; the others
are destroyed.": only the last one by each PEP, you mean? One might
read this as the last prop submitted by anyone being the only one ever
considered, if each time someone submits one it destroys all others.
"the EC must create one.": What's the timeline for this?

It'd be nice if there were a way to delay (pause?) the Pause if needed.

Nice work, Wonko. Perhaps we'll prevent B Nomic from exploding one day.

--
Peter C.