Antonio Dolcetta on Wed, 24 Jan 2007 02:37:31 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] proposal: don't give points for proposals anymore

shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> [[since we now have an alternate way of generating points (rule-tag),
>> points for proposals is not needed anymore, and more importantly people
>> are voting down perfectly good proposals just because they give points !!!]]
>

> Let me put in a word for the other point of view here, because I like
> the whole points-for-proposals thing.

I like it too, but I dislike getting voted down just because I would get
points more than I like getting the points themselves.

> First, I've started making more proposals, and I've started trying to
> make those proposals as appealing to the other players as I can.  That
> has to be good for the game.

it was that way before too, or at least it should have been, why else
would you play nomic ?

> At voting time I feel a strong urge to vote against any proposal that
> doesn't add something to the game or fix something that really needs
> to be fixed.  Surely that has to be good for the game, too.

You mean you pass specific one-time typo fixing stuff, and down general
every-time-it's-needed typo fixing stuff, because that's not useful ?
Where do you draw the line, suppose a player has 99 points and makes a
really good and fundamentally useful proposal, first player to 100 wins,
do you pass it or not ?