Daniel Lepage on Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:44:32 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] proposal parser

On Jan 23, 2007, at 10:03 AM, Antonio Dolcetta wrote:

> Daniel Lepage wrote:
>
>> Am I crazy, or would this work?
>>

> I think it would be great, and a big leap forward for the whole nomic
> community. Let's immediately start a sourceforge project!
>

> Drawbacks:
> It would take a lot more time and effort than the simple proposal
> parser
> I had in mind.
> A simple proposal parser tailored for bnomic would mean that you would
> basically just play as you have always played, with some minimal
> differences, and it would "just work", a generalized proposal manager
> would be harder to adapt to.

I'm not convinced it would be that much more work. Certainly it
wouldn't take extra work to have the authentication in a separate
program, because we could just copy the code over. Choosing a module
based on a string in the subject is also pretty trivial (at least in
Python; I'm not that good with PHP or Perl but I assume it's not too
hard there either). And parsing the header is a trivial exercise in
pattern-matching. That's all the system would need, to start with;
features like PGP encryption or smart logging of events could be
added later as needed.

--
Wonko