bd on Tue, 23 Jan 2007 07:00:27 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] proposal parser

Daniel Lepage wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2007, at 8:49 PM, Antonio Dolcetta wrote:

>>> What if I want to use the word "ENDPROPOSAL" in the course of my
>>> proposal?
>> yes, that would break it,
>> easy solution: don't do it
>> hard solution: think up a way to dynamically figure some delimiters,
>> ideas ?
>
> "Don't do it" could be bad - what if we want to make it a rule that
> you MUST delimit your proposals this way? The proposal to add that
> would need all sorts of ugliness so that it could mention the words
> without actually using them.
>
> How about using XML instead of just text?
> <BEGINPROPOSAL>
> propity prop prop
> <ENDPROPOSAL>
>
> All sorts of parsers for that exist already, and they all know how to
> do things like escape dangerous text. Also, with XML the system would
> generalize immediately to other documents.
>
> The downside is that XML is kind of a pain to type sometimes, but
> then again it's no worse than having to type non-XML delimiters
> whenever we make props.

'>' style quoting will make the parser barf, possibly.

> We should add a rule allowing wiki syntax in props, btw. Right now
> the important thing in any rule or proposal is the raw text, hence
> each prop being shown verbatim on the wiki. However, I'd love a
> clause allowing wiki syntax so that I could include e.g. a table in
> the body of a rule without trying to get ascii tables to format on
> the wiki.

Personally, I'd just like a rule saying that some appointed entity or
entities can alter rules' typographic representations as long as the
semantics remain intact. In short, Tidiness.