Antonio Dolcetta on Wed, 17 Jan 2007 04:54:23 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Devices

shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> suppose i have an object called, "the voodoo doll" that is triggerable
>> by sticking a pin into it.
>> any ambiguity in the whole rules (and without looking very far "room for
>> choice" is ambiguous itself) would let me decide what happens when i
>> trigger the doll, so i could award myself a win, or worse, just by
>> sticking a pin into the doll.
>
> Well, yes.
>
> But (1): the devices rule states that the voodoo doll rule must
> describe the effect.

yes, suppose the stated effect is: "target player must drop a device he
owns or lose 10 points" or whatever, it doesn't matter because the rule
says that if there is ambiguity anywhere I (the owner) get to decide
what happens, and I have a very active immagination.

> But (2): I wouldn't vote for a proposal that created that device, and
> neither would you.  Or, I suspect, anyone else.  The "WTF" is in
> "Voodoo Doll", not in "Devices".

there's nothing wrong with the device, it's the rule that is broken. the
only thing a device needs to be a voodoo doll is be triggerable.

> (BTW I like the idea of a voodoo doll - not the one you used in your
> example, obviously - so I've added it to my "shop" proposal; which
> I'll release once everyone has had a chance to comment on Devices.)

please do