Peter Cooper Jr. on Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:40:32 -0700 (MST)

[s-d] Mailing list delays (was: 115.1 Administrator's Update)

Joel Uckelman <uckelman@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I set up greylisting on charybdis last week. It's possible that these
> votes were delayed for that reason. In general, this won't delay your
> mail, since after the first message you'll be a recognized sender, but
> if comex hasn't sent mail since I set up the greylist, then that would
> explain the delay.

Hmm.. that does appear to be the case.

So does "reaching the appropriate fora" mean comex's message first
attempt to reach the mailing list server, or when it finally
succeeded? I think I'd have to say the latter (as my understanding of
greylisting is that the message wouldn't have made it onto the mailing
list server at all), but the idea of someone missing a deadline due to
our own mail server setup is concerning. (Yet I completely understand
greylisting's necessity in spam defense.)

Joel, in the future, could you give us a heads-up before changing the
mail server configuration in a way that might delay mail? It might
help prevent these kinds of things in the future. Thanks a bunch. (And
thanks for hosting all this stuff in the first place. It's very much
appreciated.)

--
Peter C.