Daniel Lepage on Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:37:04 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: A query.

On Dec 12, 2005, at 8:12 PM, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:

"Mark Walsh" <flutesultan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I'd like to clear up a few things to make Ministerial duties
simpler to perform.

I assume that there must be a way to modify a Template.
I'd like to modify the Talisman Template to bring it to be
in accordance with the current Talisman form as is defined
in the Rules.

The templates are wiki pages just like anything else. Just do a search
on the wiki for the template page you're looking for, bring it up, and
modify it.

In particular, any page whose name ends in "Template" (case-sensitive) will show up in the list of templates when you're creating a new page. There are also some substitution patterns you can use, such as @PAGE@ for the title of the page. On normal pages these are expanded when you save, but for Template pages they're only expanded for the pages that use the Template.

See http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnPageCreation for more info, and the full list of substitution patterns.

I can also see benefits in changing the Haunted House
Rooms listings to be objects (similar to Talismans). This
would involve creating a Generic Room Template. I'm
not sure, but I conceive that game states such as Player
Location and Lit/Dark might be more easliy updated
and displayed via this methodology. (In Talismans,
changing a single page nets results in numerous
displays (i.e. inventories)).

Your best bet is to look at how the Talisman pages work and copy them
as best you can... Wonko can probably tell you more, since he wrote
them.

The engine handling the Talismans is pretty specific. Given a set of objects and a set of locations, it tracks copies of those objects that are moved amongst the locations. A similar system could be developed for the House, but it would take time and I doubt I'd have enough time to do it by myself.

A database-driven architecture for the whole game might be in order, especially given Peter's recent proposals unifying everything as "Objects". Every object could be stored in a database, providing easy lookups and searches; we code build code into the wiki for reading and modifying them. Adding new types of Objects or new fields to existing types could probably be abstracted out into some interface that didn't require any changing of code. That would allow us to add arbitrary game objects and track and sort them without needing to alter the code.

Given this system, we could also automate things like the Map, perhaps with GraphViz, but this would require programming to maintain.

It would be pretty cool, though - GraphViz dynamically generates graphs in the style of the House Map, but can also automatically generate html image maps. So, for example, we could automatically update the House and have each room link to a description page.

--
Wonko

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
                -- Buckminster Fuller