Daniel Lepage on Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:39:22 -0500 (CDT)

[s-d] Generic Document storage

Right now we have a single Rulebook with all the rules in it. We also have a couple other types of Game Document floating around, like Props, Talisman definitions, etc.

I think we should upgrade the Rulebook system to instead have Documentbooks. Each Docbook has some type of Game Documents in it (but only Documents of a single type - no books containing both props and House Ordinances).

We should then establish a labeling system that lets us uniquely identify objects, i.e. "RS:12-3/5" means the 5th revision of document 3 from section 12 of the Ruleset, and "PL:1-280/4" means revision 4 of document 280 from section 1 of the Proposal List, etc.

Each document would have a few basic fields:
Book, Section, ID, Revision, Title, Body, and Nweek of Creation. Each type of document could then have additional fields if need be.

All documents would be stored in a database on the server, probably with one table per type of document; this would allow for fast searching, listing, etc., and the wiki's built in diff-formatting tools could be used to view changes between versions.

A really ambitious project would be to then import all of B Nomic's history into this system - have a book of "Archaic Rules" from before the rules reset, and another for "Archaic Props". Maybe to save space some books (or specific sections?) like these could be flagged as not saving older versions of the documents stored in them.

What thinkst the populace?

--
Wonko

What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth ? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad.
     -Dave Barry (1947 - )