Daniel Lepage on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:10:37 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] RE: [s-b] [auto] Wonko votes

On Aug 30, 2005, at 7.49 PM, flutesultan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Motion 226/0: Accidental Nomic Word Enabling Explicitly Kaput. : Against
I see no reason why words in comments shouldn't be Nomic Words.

As the rules exist now, words in comments become Nomic words,
usable in prop titles and tiles plays which require Nomic words
for awarding purposes. My against vote doesn't necessarily preclude
passage.

I see nothing wrong with that. The text in comments is currently just as controlled as the text in the rest of the rules. Although it might be worthwhile to empower someone to update comments.

Motion 240/0: Consolidating Coinage Creates Canny Cache! : For
Although I am FOR this, it also includes a major conceptual flaw.
This is not Triller's fault - it's mine for not removing everything
adequately. Basically, SP aren't Holdings in any way, shape or form,
because you can never have a SP. Instead, it's a unit for measuring
the value of a Soul. So you might have 250 SP worth of Souls, but
you can't simply have 250 SP. It's just like how you can have 3
gallons of water, but you can't just have 3 gallons.

This isn't a major problem because the Rules don't provide any way
for a player to ever gain SP, so it won't break the game; it's just
a confusing inconsistency in the rules.

Perhaps the solution is a proposal to eliminate SPs entirely,
and any basis on amplitude would necessarily follow.
Then the cost of talismans that require SP could simply be Souls.
A talisman that now requires 200SP to forge could simply
require 2 Souls to be bound to it.
Off hand I can't recall if any talismans require SPs for activating
their effects, so that might be problematic.

No talismans do. The prop that removed all mention of SP as objects was mine, and I made sure to go through all the Talisman definitions etc. and remove all mentions. Right now, the term SP could be removed entirely, and we could just say that a given soul has a Value of X, instead of X SP. I liked the SP just as shorthand - a Talisman that requires 200SP is shorthand for one that requires a set of one or more Souls with a total value equal to or exceeding 200SP. Thus, two 100SP Souls would suffice, but if you got the Soul of a player with lots of Amplitude, you might be able to forge the thing with only the one Soul.

--
Wonko

"What is improbable is extremely probable."
   - Aristotle