Daniel Lepage on Sun, 8 May 2005 22:16:11 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] Nweek 87 Proposal Resolution

On May 8, 2005, at 11.06 PM, The Voice wrote:

Two important points:
1) The title forms only four acronyms. The fact that the first word is
entirely capitalized does nothing. Good luck convincing anyone to
acronymize "gnu's not unix" by "gnununu".
2) My tweak removed this flaw.

I would respectfully disagree on the first part, because GNU is an
acronym whether or not it is capitalized.  I believe the rule said,
"contains an acronym"... I believe it contained an infinite number of
acronyms.

Had it said "contains", I would agree that there are more than four in there. But even so there'd be finitely many, because there are finitely many characters in the title. But it said "forms", and so you'd only get four Genechips for the ones it actually forms.

You seem to be trying to claim that because GNU can be rewritten as a longer string of words, the longer string of words should be considered when deciding which acronyms are "contained" in the title. Were this true, recursive acronyms would not be necessary - any string of characters can be expanded to some longer string, and so any title would be worth infinite genechips. I don't think it is true.

Anyway, the tweak kind of makes this a moot point, huh?

True.

--
Wonko

Your food stamps will be stopped effective March 1992 because we received notice that you passed away. May God bless you. You may reapply if there is a change in your circumstances.
  ---Department of Social Services,  Greenville, South Carolina