Daniel Lepage on Mon, 2 May 2005 20:25:30 -0500 (CDT)

[s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] TheVoice submits p42

On May 2, 2005, at 3.47 PM, automailer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

TheVoice has submitted a new proposal, p42.

---------------------------------
Proposal 42/0: Let's make things interesting.
A Standard Proposal by TheVoice
Last modified on nweek 87, nday 4

Amend the fifth paragraph of rule 3.3, __Proposing and Voting__ to read as follows:

{{
When a Proposal changes from Open to Historical, it is said to have Resolved. At this point, the final votes cast by each player are counted, and if the number of FOR votes exceeds the number of AGAINST votes, or if all votes cast are AGAINST, the Proposal Passes; otherwise, it fails.
}}

[[This is basically to encourage use of political parties and hope that it makes the voting a little bit more interesting... perhaps we'll see more bargaining and bribes...]]

I quite like this prop - every nomic I've ever played has treated the proposal system as a means to an end, the end being creating another game within the Nomic. I've always wanted to play one where changing the rules really was the game, as Peter Suber seems to have intended.

And Eugene is right that e could make a prop to make em god-king of the realm, and it would pass if everyone voted down. And yes, if there were more rules like this a clever player could conceivably trick everyone into letting a proposal through that did such a thing. This isn't a flaw, it's a more interesting game.

I would like to note that if we're going to play the Voting Game, then I'm going to have to go against my anti-immutability tendencies and suggest that rule 0 should only be mutable via itself. That way we always have some way of extracting ourselves from a severe paradox.

Also, I like the convention (started by Wild Card, I believe) that a player who seizes absolute power over the game through clever loophole exploitation awards emself a win, fixes the problem, and lets the game keep going.

--
Wonko

"AALST (n.) One who changes his name to be further to the front"
  -- Douglas Adams, _The Meaning of Liff_